Here’s my latest dressmaking – 2 versions of the Wiksten Tova top. I made the brown and red one first in very cheap fabric from the local market. It is probably a polycotton. They are both very thin, drapey fabrics, but hey! they work fine for this top! In fact I prefer this version because it is so drapey and light. It will be a lovely ‘cover up’ top to wear in the summer.
The second version is made from a lovely crisp cotton fabric I bought in Fabricland (along with my haul!) last week. I love the colour combo of this minty green with my coral cardigan.
I made the collar smaller in this version, following the sew along on Kerry’s blog here, and shortened the sleeves. I love that you can google a dress pattern and find sew alongs and flickr pages with lots of different versions for inspiration!
Although I love this fabric, I think it is too stiff for this pattern. See how the neck looks too big? I am beginning to realise that I have narrow shoulders and upper bust. Therefore what I really need to do is a Full Bust Adjustment (FBA). Most patterns are cut for a B cup, so if you have a bigger bust, you use your upper bust measurement, then alter the pattern using an FBA. I am trying (and failing!) to do one on Simplicity K1913. It has a lovely princess seam top, so I am following this tutorial. (Check out her gorgeous ‘Doris Day’ suit for her entry in Project Sewn! Actually only check this if you want to spend at least an hour checking everyone else’s entry!) I am hoping to make a really good fitting bodice to which I can add different skirts. Watch this space – it is going to take while!