I have become a bit obsessed by dressmaking lately. Here’s some of my creations:
First off, a baby outfit for my niece’s baby. Not sure she will be able to wear it as it is too big at the moment, and by the time she fits it the weather will have changed! I learned a lot of ‘new to me’ techniques, including machine applique and making my own bias binding for the neck and armholes.
I have been studying dressmaking blogs such as this one and this one, and am inspired to post photos of myself wearing my creations! I am also inspired to alter shop bought clothes to fit better. Here is my first attempt. I bought this red top a couple of years ago in the Monsoon sale, but had never worn it as it feels too big.
So I took it in! The fit was Ok across the shoulders, so I just took the sides in, and shaped it a bit. I think I will get some wear out of it now.
I machine basted it at first to check the fit, adjusted it and then tried another new technique, french seams. I must admit to undoing each seam about 3 times before I got it right. But, again, I learned a lot. I think if I made it again I might try to make it longer, as I don’t usually wear such short tops.
Finally, here’s the toile for my dress. Excuse the orange fabric (it was £2 per metre from the local market), I think it makes me look like a cleaner! Think that might have something to do with the baggy fit too!! I made the mistake of cutting the dress too big, as I went for hip size. I tried to fit the top, but I’m not sure I’ve made a really good job of it. Next time I will cut it at the smaller size and adjust for hips. I haven’t finished off the armholes or the hem, as I am keen to get onto the next sewing project! (Bunting for my summer house)
So that’s my crafting challenge for July – make something to wear.
My August goal is to do some art journal pages, and have a go with a Smash book. I’ll be back later to show you what I’ve done.