Tuesday 21 May 2013

Simply A Moment–May 2013

Decorating. UGH!  The thought of it makes me shiver!  All the mess!  But, great feeling of satisfaction when it is done.  So we started with the porch, and then decide that the hall, stairs and landing needed updating. 

So here I am standing on the landing on a Saturday afternoon swishing the roller up and down the walls.  I am standing on dust sheets, all crumpled up and covered with splodges of paint.  There’s old curtains, old tablecloths and bedspreads, and some plastic sheeting.  Here and there there are pieces of newspaper adding to the mess!

home 001 

There are 2 colours of paint, ‘Muddy Puddle’ for underneath the dado rail and ‘Natural Hessian’ for above.  I love the gloopy liquid paint as it is poured out of the can into my tray.  (I let Maurice do that bit so I don’t spill any!)  I have a brand new roller, so I dip it into the paint and roll it up and down to get the paint even.  I then roll it on the wall, hearing the sticky swish as my roller rolls up and down.  Another dip in the paint and more sticky swishing.  I am behind the Expedit unit which we have emptied and moved to the centre of the landing so I am close to the wall and have to angle the long handle of the roller carefully.  I can feel a light spray of wet paint as I swish up and down. The wall looks fresh and clean as the new paint covers the old.  Radio 2 is on loud in the bedroom so we can hear it, and Dermot O’Leary is speaking to a new band I haven’t heard of – I like their music though. 

The next job is to cover this green paint on the wood work with white undercoat.  It took 3 coats!  But look how nice and fresh it looks now.

 home 002home 005

Linking up with Alexa for Simply A Moment.

10 comments:

Chicken Licken said...

Wow I bet that looks different! Just in time for our next visit!!!!

Chicken Licken said...

Wow I bet that looks different! Just in time for our next visit!!!!

onshore said...

Wow! I love how you described the painting with the roller. I can so imagine painting myself.

Looking good!

alexa said...

How wonderfully descriptive this is, Linda! I will always remember your post any time I pick up a roller in the future ... The names of those paints are intriguing and the finish with the white woodwork is indeed so fresh and clean. A delight to read and thank-you so much for joining in and linking up again this month :).

Melissa said...

In the middle of redecorating, I always seem to question my sanity . . . but the end result makes it worthwhile. This is looking great!!

Maria Ontiveros said...

I love redecorating, although your description was very convincing.
Rinda

Sian said...

I like a bit of redecorating.. though when I do it myself the paint always gives me a headache. I think this is perfect for a "moment" because it captures that time you have for reflection and thinking as you paint

Burnice said...

won't need a torch now!!!!! Looks good, can't wait to see it....
Burn x

Alison said...

i'm hoping Craig is going to come with me next week to choose paint colours for our living room!...love your description xx
Alison xx

Miriam said...

What a great description of painting, I love the finished effect but hate painting!!...if I send you my address.... Lovely moment.